Sunday, September 11, 2011

SCfN Chapter 2

Elements of a Strategic Communications Plan

The media food chain was a new concept that was introduced to me in the second chapter of the Strategic Communications for Nonprofits text. I find it very interesting and believable that issues move through the media in a common chain because the more interesting and discussed an issue is over the months and years, the more popular media outlets will cover it.

The three main sections of a communications planning guide, according to the text, are overall goals, critical elements, and ongoing activities. After reading about these three important factors, it occurred to me that I completed this when I was planning a program for the freshman girls living in Manning while I was a Resident Assistant. My goals were to bring as many girls together as possible for an alternative friday night party. The idea was to show them that there is more than going out to parties and drinking. The critical elements were making the program seem interesting enough to convince girls that this would be more fun than attending a party because it does not seem very intriguing. I had to make posters, send out emails, research popular movies, purchase snacks, pitch the idea to my boss, etc. The ongoing activities consisted of spreading the word around the building to convince girls that this program was going to be a blast and that they should all attend. Reminder emails were sent out as well as poster changes the day before the program. Without extensive planning, my program would not have been as successful.

One specific item on the "list to adopt or modify activities for your specific situation" that I can really relate to is #5, being mindful of internal communications. I used my internal communications while planning my program by letting all other RA's know about the events to tell their residents and encourage them to attend. Freshman often look up to their RA's, so they listened to their RA when she suggested my program. Internal communications are so beneficial because you never know what idea or insight someone similar to you may provide to help your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment