Monday, September 5, 2011

SCfN Chapter 1

I enjoyed reading the first chapter of Strategic Communications for Nonprofits (SCfN) by Bonk, Tynes, Griggs and Sparks because I do not have much knowledge of nonprofit organizations.

I agree with the "built-in advantage" section the book discussed because stories that promote better change for the world are typically more interesting for readers, so journalists will want to write about those organizations. I know that because many of my family members have suffered and passed away from cancer, I always read any email, newspaper article, magazine story or flyer about Relay For Life or The Race For The Cure.

The "working collaboratively" section of the first chapter was interesting because I can not think of any nonprofit organizations that have worked together for fundraisers or charity events. For instance, Make A Wish Foundation always hosts events and meetings individually, not with any other organization to enhance their clout. However, I do agree with the idea that the text book proposes and I do believe that it happens every day. I am just happening to focus on the big nonprofit organizations that already have enough money to stand alone individually and I realize that smaller nonprofit organizations can not. Collaborating with other groups who share similar goals and cultures can be super beneficial for any organization depending on the event.

I did not realize that many nonprofits fail to use effective communication tools. SCfN brings up four examples of how/why nonprofits do not operate in the new communications environment: levels of investment and resources (don't think they can compete with well-funded institutions), negative experiences (only in the spotlight for problems), false assumptions (think what they do will draw media due to importance) and inexperience (not used to dealing with reporters). All of these reasons that nonprofits do not use proper communication strategies make perfect sense and should be reinforced to leaders of the organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment